Questions and Answers
How can I get the Client IP Adress and Client Name on the Citrix Server!
Fist of all you can get this information from the Citrix Management Condole (CMC). If you need this info on the command line, then there are some options:
- Use the Server environment Variable %ClientName%
- How the Win32 ICA Client determines the value for ClientName
- Clientnames Should Always Be Unique
- VBS Script to Return a List of Users and the Client IP Addresses
- How to Retrieve the IP Address of Connected Clients from a Command Line
- Download this utility from Phil
There are Active sessions on brocken/disconnection on the Citrix Server!
Make sure you reset disconneted or brocken session after a set timeout period.
Start | run | mfcfg.exe | ica-tcp properties | Advanced...
check that On a brocken or timed-out connection the option RESET is set.
You might also want to set a Timeout value for Disconnection, so a disconnected session will NOT be reset immediately and the user get's a chance to reconnect.
- Graceful Logoff from a Published Application Keeps Sessions in Active State
- Unable to Completely Disconnect a Terminal Server Connection
How can I change the ICA settings in the CCC with a script?
Use the TsConSec command line utility to set permissions on the RDP- or ICA protocol.
TSConSec.exe /t:R[DP]|I[CA] /r [[/d:domain] /a:account /p[:permissions]]
- How to Reset all ICA-TCP Connections From the Command Line
- Use the RESET SESSION Command to Reset a Session in Windows 2000
How can I Bypass the Logon Script from NT/NDS etc.?
There are many ways to do this, so this is just one possible way:
Set an environment variable, for instance SRV=CITRIX on every Citrix Server, after that you have to reboot the Servers. Then in the NT/NDS login script add the following line
IF /I %SRV% EQU CITRIX GOTO :eof
as the the first command.
Fatal error after uninstall of MetaFrame XP FR2!
When you uninstall MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR2/SP2 it might end in a disaster or as Citrix describes it as CRITICAL ERROR! So before you remove MF make sure you have installed the PN Client (XE102W076)
- Best Practices and TroubleShooting Downgrade / Uninstall Issues With MetaFrame 1.8/XP
- HotFix XE102W076 - For MetaFrame XP 1.0 for Windows 2000 Server - English
The CMC Shadow option is greyed out!
With FR2 installation and also with updates to FR3 you might be unable to shadow user in the CMC on a Citrix Server. First make sure the PN Client is installed on the Server since it's not the default with FR2, therefore see CTX101742 and install the HotFix.
Next check the following registry key:
@="C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\wfica32.exe" "%1"
FR2 needs the short path
whereas FR3 needs the long path
"drive:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\wfica32.exe" "%1"
@="C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\wfica32.exe \"%1\""
sure that the key has
the correct path to PN
*and* the double quotes. If you have a mixed Farm with MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR2 and FR3 Server you have to install HotFix XE103W2K036
- Error: The ICA Client is needed for this utility and is not installed or Shadowing is grayed out in the Citrix Management Console
- XE103W2K036 -- For MetaFrame XP 1.0 for Windows 2000 Server -- English
Network Printers not Autocreating or slow!
With MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR2/SP2 Citrix has changed autocreated network printing from ICA to SMB. The article CTX681954 describes (Point 11) how you can switch back from SMB to ICA.
MetaFrame XP 1.0 SP3/FR3 has a check box in the Citrix Management Console, under the Printer Node Properties, to toggle this behavior.
How do I migrate the Access Data Store to SQL?
- Create a new SQL Database on the SQL Server ("sa" as user)
- Create DSN file on the citrix server for the SQL Database and save it to
"%ProgramFiles%\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture" let's
say as SQL.DSN
- Open command line and run DSMAINT
dsmaint migrate /srcdsn:"%ProgramFiles%\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\MF20.dsn" /srcuser:citrix /srcpwd:citrix /dstdsn:"%ProgramFiles%\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\SQL.DSN" /dstuser:sa /dstpwd:
on every other server in the farm copy the SQL.DSN to the server and run
dsmaint config /user:sa /pwd: /dsn:"%ProgramFiles%\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\SQL.DSN"
- Advanced Concepts Guide for MetaFrame XP FR3
- MetaFrame XP Advanced Concepts - Farm Maintenance
- Migrating a MetaFrame XP Access Database to Oracle 9i
- Error: An unknown error occurred while migrating the table...
Windows Installer starts with IE or when you delete the Citrix folder under FR3
- Windows Installer Appears When a User Logs On After Install
- The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM... ,Please wait while Windows configures..., or You must restart....
- Event ID 1001 and 1004 in Source MSIInstaller
And a workaround from the Citrix support center, change the following registry keys:
Locate the following key value:
Rename it into Wait_CTX_MF_MetaFrame_Core
Locate the following key value:
Rename it into Wait_PN_ENGINE
Domain User can not logon !
In most cases you are trying to logon to a Domain Controller (DC) where logins are permited to Administrator only, for security reasons. The normal users get the message "The local Policy of the system does not permit you to login interactively"
- Domain Controllers Require the "Log on Locally" Group Policy Object for Terminal Services Client Connections
- Local Policy of this System does not Permit you to Logon Interactively at Logon
- Error: Local Policy of this System does not Permit you to Logon Interactively at Logon on Windows 2003
- Novell Problem "Local policy of this system does not allow login ..."
How do I remove dead server from the CMC?
I can't logon to the CMC after changing the domain membership!
To delete ALL Citrix Administrator and add the local Admin accout to the Citrix datastore use the UNSUPPORTED Slim Jim utility.
DB2 databases are NOT supported at this time and Slim Jim is only tested with SQL 2000, Access and Oracle DS and MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR2/FR3. Slim Jim does NOT work with later versions!
Before you use Slim Jim, make sure you have read the following document
Citrix Support Guidelines for Modifying Customer Databases.doc
With the Citrix command line utility "chfarm" you can reset the Fram without installing any server again, but you have to add license, printer mappings, publish application etc.
- Changing the MetaFrame Server & Server Farm's Domain Membership
- Error: ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed
- How to Use the Chfarm Utility
How do I set Regional Settings for different countrys?
Most of these 'locale' settings are held in each users profile hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International
You can manipulate these settings using a reg file which imports the correct settings for each language into the registry during login.
- Create the relevant registry file for each country.
- Create domain global groups for each country.
- Use the iFMember resource kit utility to import the relevant registry settings based on the group (users preferred language/country).
- Add the iFMember syntax to the
%systemroot%\system32\UsrLogon.Cmd script which
runs for each user at login.
- How to ensure users have the desired regional settings
- With SetLocale you can preset a user's international settings. Designed for loginscripts, command line or shortcuts.
My Publish Application is not Starting or just logs off?
Check the AppSetup value of the hive HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
It should have a least the value data "UsrLogon.Cmd, CmStart.Exe" or with MetaFrame Prensentation Server and above "CtxHide.exe UsrLogon.cmd, CmStat.exe" If the values are not in the key, then add the missing value data.
User are losing connection to the MetaFrame Server, what can I do?
Activate keepalives, and make sure that no hardware like routers, firewalls or manageble switches are configured to drop idle sessions. (most are by default)
In MetaFrame XP 1.0 FR3 you have to activate ICA Keep-Alives in the Citrix Management Console (CMC)
- Configuring TCP KeepAlive Values to Improve WAN links and ICA KeepAlives to place ICA Session in a Disconnected State
- ICA KeepAlives After Applying Service Pack 1 for Windows 2003
- ICA Client Side KeepAlive Settings
- Troubleshooting Disconnected Sessions in Secure Gateway
I get the Windows Installer Error 1327 or Invalid Dirve X:, what can I do?
Make sure the User Profile you use to install Software on the Server, has NO folder redirection enabled.
How to preconfigure and deploy a Citrix ICA Client?
There are many ways to preconfigure and deploy the ica client and here is the collection from the Citrix Knowledgebase and don't forget, the client can also be deployed through the ICA client update database on the Citrix Server and also with Web Interface.
- How to Create a Preconfigured Program Neighborhood Client
- Creating a Version 8.x Ready Connect Client
- How to Create a Program Neighborhood Agent MSI Install Package Using the ICA Client Packager
- How to Perform a Silent Install for the Program Neighborhood 32-bit Full Client Enabling Single Sign-On
- ICA Client Version 8.x Deployment with Active Directory
- How to Modify the Program Neighborhood and Program Neighborhood Agent MSI Packages for a Silent Installation
- How to Install Only the Full Program Neighborhood Using the 8.x Client Package MSI
- How to Install Only the Program Neighborhood Agent Using the 8.1 Client package MSI
- Configuring Client MSI install packages for different Workstation Regional Settings
- What are the .SRC Files in the ICA Client Directory and on the Install Disks?
- How To Allow Users Who Are Not Administrators to Install MSI Packages